Internships are one of the most important ways students gain experience and start to make contacts within their field. College students hold most of the available internships but more opportunities are now available for high school students looking to get valuable work experience.
The idea of pursuing an internship probably doesn’t cross most high school students’ minds, which is an excellent reason to pursue one. Work experience at a respected company or organization, especially if it’s related to a field you might pursue in college, will only strengthen your college applications. It’s a great way to stand out from the crowd.
Secondly, an internship will allow you to explore potential careers and courses of study for college. You might confirm that newspaper journalism is the career of your dreams, or find out that software programming isn’t exactly how you’d imagined it. You may also discover other fields and positions you hadn’t considered before.
Internship and Summer Opportunities
- Baylor College of Medicine Administrative Internship Program (high school seniors, college students and graduate students)
- City of Houston- Health Department Internship
- Geosciences Bridge Program
- Hewlett Packard Graduate and Internship Program
- Science and Engineering Apprenticeship Program (SEAP)
- Teen Court (High School)